Friday, February 12, 2010

Cats in the basement!

Now I've heard of people having problems with mice, rats, snakes, spiders, ants and even ladybugs, but CATS! Now I need to tell you that we are city people who are trying to live like country folk and if there is such a thing as a dysfunctional farm, then we certainly own one.

I must say that I use the word farm loosely. We don't have cows, pigs, or horses. We do have chickens though. We don't plow our fields, grow our own food or even have big plans for a garden. We do have a tractor, backhoe and John Deere riding mower though.

We are dog lovers, rabbit lovers, bird lovers and enjoy the occasional red squirrel and chipmunk now and then. We've had barn cats, rats in the henhouse and a big fat woodchuck that likes to sit high on the tree stump near our house.

We've had tame bunnies running wild, eating raisins out of our hand, attempted to raise the baby robin that has fallen out of its nest, and nursed back to health a wild rabbit that was hit with the tractor.

We've experienced mice in the attic, an adult red squirrel in our bedroom and a baby red squirrel sitting above my daughter's head while sleeping (that's another post for another time :).

We've had Starlings raise families in the attic, bees building hives in our grill and bats in our hallway. Now, to top it all off we have CATS living in our basement!

At first, my husband saw a white one the other day. We thought, well that's not so bad - the cat can keep out the mice, the rats, the birds, the squirrels, the chipmunks, and the snakes. BUT then, last night there was an actual cat fight in our basement. SO there is not only a pretty little white cat but also a black cat. Now, we would like to think that it was a fight, but something tells me they may have been starting a family ;)

What do you do when you have cats in your basement? Maybe I should take a poll. How would you vote?

7 comments:

The Old Cupboard Door said...

I vote that cats are better than rats and snakes. I love cats but if they are feral that's a horse of a different color.

Your farm sounds like my kind of farming. No milking, slopping, plowing, picking...perfect.

Loved the post!

~willa~

My Crafty Cottage said...

Oh Lucy, this just makes me laugh! Love your term "dysfunctional farm". Not sure what to tell ya about the cats...but if it's cold outside you may need to wait unitl spring..lol
Hugs~
Kim

PrimWyoGirl said...

Too funny! How did they get in there? Well dare I ask how any of the other disfunctional farm animals got in? LOL! The cats are much better in my opinion than the bats. Sounds like you may have a whole family of them before you know what happened! Good luck!
Jayne

The Farmer's Attic said...

We have a flagstone foundation so there are lots of openings. My husband found where they found a large enough opening to squeeze through, so he now has the job of closing that up.

The bat is a whole other story in itself too!!! :)

Kristine Mullen said...

I like you description of your farm. I wouldn't open the dorr leading to the basement until they leave. Otherwise they might become housecats :)

Tina❀ said...

Wow, that's quite a problem. How many do you reckon are down there? Crazy!!
I do recommend a big litter box! Cat urine is nasty stuff as you probably know. Hopefully, if they are gonna come in, they'll be good visitors and use the potty accordingly.
Good luck!!

Anonymous said...

You know I love cats. I have had 7 at one time. Funny story though. But you have to find out where they get in and then block it. But they are smarter than people give them credit for so make sure all areas possible are blocked because they will find a way in.

Laura