Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Cowboy Cookies

Just finishing up about 10 doz. Cowboy cookies and it's not even 6 a.m. I love the mornings!!! That is when I accomplish my best work. By 2 p.m. though I'm ready for a nap. I still think we should incorporate a mid-afternoon siesta each day into our busy lives. Hmmmm, I wonder how we can have a law passed??? I'd vote for it that's for sure!


Cowboy cookies sure don't sound like a traditional Christmas cookie. But...don't judge a book by it's cover! They are absolutely delish and are now my new favorite! I found the recipe on Martha Stewart's website. Here it is:

Ingredients:
Makes about 5 dozen
3/4 cup pecans (3 ounces)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats (not instant or quick-cooking)
6 ounces semisweet chocolate, cut into 1/4-inch chunks
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
Vegetable-oil cooking spray

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread pecans in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Toast in oven, tossing occasionally, until darkened and fragrant, 10 to 13 minutes. Let cool, then coarsely chop. Into a bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt, and baking powder.
With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, cream butter and both sugars until pale and fluffy. Reduce speed to medium. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture, beating until just incorporated. Beat in oats, chocolate, pecans, and coconut until just combined. (Dough can be covered with plastic and refrigerated up to 3 days.)
Coat baking sheets with cooking spray; line with parchment, and spray parchment. Using a 1 1/2-inch ice-cream scoop or a tablespoon, drop dough onto prepared sheets, about 3 inches apart.
Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, until edges of cookies begin to brown, 16 to 18 minutes. Transfer sheets to wire racks to cool 5 minutes. Transfer cookies to racks to cool completely. Cookies can be stored up to 3 days at room temperature in airtight containers

3 comments:

The Old Cupboard Door said...

Yummers Lucy, they do look delish and huge! You know I will have to give them a try. Thanks for sharing them with us.

~willa~

The Moonlit Stitch said...

Brown sugar, coconut, oatmeal...these are a few of my favorite things - thanks for sharing!
~Lisa

Anonymous said...

Those sound delicious! I stumbled upon your blog from The BlogFrog and wanted to stop by. I have a recipe blog, and if I decide to make these cookies, I'll be sure to link back to you to give you credit. Have an awesome day!